Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bristol

Unlike  Stonehenge that I had heard so much about and Port Isaac which I had learned so much about, I  knew very little about the City Of Bristol.  What a gem !  It was delightful to tour the city.



Medi near our hotel.




The connection between the City of Bristol and the US goes back to at least 1792.





Bristol Cathedral




Inside the Cathedral




I find it so warm and loving that churches in England mark the history of their worshippers as well as provide a place for daily worship.




Bristol University




St Mark's Church - the only privately owned church in England.






St Mary's Church is beautiful .  In fact,  so beautiful, that the Queen Mother, Elizabeth I, said it was the "goodliest church I had ever seen"  When I questioned the use of the word "goodliest", my son in law pointed out English is sometimes called the "queen's tongue" so by definition whatever she says is correct.  Good point, Kyle.








Would you cross the Atlantic in this ship ?  That is exactly what John Cabot and his crew did in 1497.  Cabot, an Italian navigator,  went to Bristol, then the second largest port in England, to take on the challenge.  He landed at New Foundland and became the first European to encounter the continent of  North America (remember Columbus landed in the Caribbean when he "discovered"  the New World.)







These two ladies claim they would have been adventurous enough to sail with Cabot.




Seaman First Class


No comments:

Post a Comment