Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Preparation For Bolivia's High Altitude





I am now sitting in Quito with the Andes right outside my hotel window. I leave for La Paz in four hours and  I'm worried about the effects of its high altitude.  It should not be too bad. I am already in high altitude. At 9,000 feet,  Quito is the second highest capital city in the world next to La Paz..

But it is La Paz at 13,000 feet that I am concerned about.  I hear the American Airline pilots keep their oxyegn on while the aircraft deplanes and then fly to a lower altitude.  The airport is unusal. It is 1,000 feet above the city. The good news I guess is that we immediately descend from the highest altitude we encounter  to go to the hotel,  in our case the Ritz Luxury Apartments, hopefully serving the special cocoa tea famous for treating high altitude sickness.




A few notes on the Andes:  it comprises the longest mountain range in the world and
 is about 4,300 mi long, about 430 mi  wide  and of an average height of about 13,000 ft.
The Ecuadorean Andes is located at the point on the surface of the Earth that is the most distant one from its center. These mountains are high.

Embassy Oxygen Kit (provided to all travelers)

High altitude illness comes about from  lower air pressure.  The amount of oxygen in the air at 5,000 feet 10,000 feet or 15,000 feet never changes but stays a constant 21%. The symtons of high altitude sickness are  headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbance. Most people  can adjust in a week or two.  However, I will be there just three days. 




But I have already started taking Diamox to offset the worst effects of high altitude illness so I should be in good shape. I mentioned "cocoa tea" earlier. It is a mix of  cocoa lleaves and other ingredients. I think the leaves are a mild narcotic.  They say don't drink this tea right before your mandatory government drug test.  I'll stay with Diamox.
I have read wonderful things about La Paz and hope to take as many pictures as possible to capture its beauty.  I will pace myself for the altitude but shoot away nonethelss!

No comments:

Post a Comment