Sunday, November 28, 2010

La Paz, Bolivia


I really did not see much of Bolivia in the short time I was there but what I did see I liked. I could understand why the tour groups I met spent a week or more in country, mostly at the lower altitudes.

HISTORY 
Bolivia is a country rich in the Inca and Aymaran cultures. It is a small country with just over 9 million people. Like most countries in South America, it was once a colony of Spain, attracted there by the rich silver mines.  Its national hero , Simon Bolivar, liberated the country in 1825.

ADVICE
Do not make the mistake I did and pronounce “Simon” like a New Yorker named Simon or “Bolivar” like , well , like a New Yorker. The people may still be laughing back in La Paz.
The Sights








La Paz did have its share of hostels, catering to young South American and European backpackers.








Backpackers


Presidential Palace

Downtown

No comments:

Post a Comment