Sunday, May 7, 2017

Previous Trips- 2003 : China & the Great Wall





I paid these mercenaries to accompany and protect me in case any Mongols remained  in the area .





Along the way, there were lovely bridges and small shrines making  the path so pretty.






Natural formations were equally lovely.




Isn't nature magnificent?




The wall stretches as far as the eye can see. The total length is 5,500 miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China




Japanese tourists were everywhere and usually fashionably dressed.






There are quite a few entrances, or gates,  to the Great Wall. Badaling is the closest to Beijing. This time I went to Mutianyu  accompanied by my embassy friend and his young son.





The people in the background give a indication of how wide the wall is. I heard you could fit two average size sedans side by side







The snow began to fall  as we climbed up making the path and, especially the steps, slippery and dangerous.  My embassy friend had on hiking boots but I had on sneakers. He called down to this lady who was selling soda and snacks at the bottom of the steps. She came up to us. He told me to hold on to her waist and to give her a small tip at the end.   I was embarrassed but, what the heck, I was safe.












No comments:

Post a Comment