Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Riyadh - Around the City







Riyadh was, for me , a series of contradictions and mysteries.  In fact,  in all my journies, this was a place I truly felt like a foreigner. I did  not feel foreign in Central Asia or in Africa but I did here. Perhaps, it was the location of my hotel and the ride to the Diplomatic Quarter (DQ): lots of open space, low buildings, no one on the streets and approaching the DQ and inside it, security everywhere from guys with sub-machine guns to guys sitting on machine gun trucks. Just not the same as Charlottesville.



Even the streets were different, tending towards curves and angles rather than straight lines.  Two of the most popular and said to be "most representative" places to visit were huge multi-story towers , like the one in the first photo.  However, what struck me most about the buildings is that most were three to four stories with the majority less than ten stories high.




The other  famous tower.  I believe it is called "Freedom Tower". 





Nonethelss, I liked the buildings that seemed more normal, ones I could identify with.

Like this one:





No comments:

Post a Comment