Saturday, December 4, 2010

Santiago, Chile



I
 loved Santiago from the minute I got out of the airport  to the moment I returned for my next flight.  I saw something here that had been in short supply in the first six countries : bright sun and beautiful
blue sky.  It was a wonderful replacement for the rainy, cold weather that had followed us from country to country.



I was intrigued by modern Santiago, its skyscrapers and their  bold unique architecture. Unlike the other countries, I was captivated by the new parts of the city rather than the historic part.  When I looked out my hotel window, I could see broad streets, unique designs and greenery everywhere.


The buildings in the financial area of Santiago, called “Sanhatten”, are breathtaking. In some ways, the financial district could symbolize Chile whose prosperity and stability makes it one of the leading South American nations.  The buildings are built to show  beauty and creativity and they are built to exacting standards.  When an 8.8 earthquake struck Chile in February of this year, buildings were damaged, to be sure,  but the massive destruction and loss of life that accompanies earthquakes of such magnitude (think Haiti)  did not take place.



The prosperity of this country of 15 million continues to draw immigrants to Chile now, even as it did in the last century.  Since 1992, its foreign born population has increased 75%,  mostly from Argentina, Peru and Bolivia.
I was amazed though to learn of German migration here  that goes  back as far as the 16th century and  with a major

 wave of immigration in 1848 to the southern parts of Chile.   In some parts of the the south today,   German is spoken as

a first language and it vies  with English as the most popular second language in that region.

 From watching one too many World War ll movies, I thought most German immigration to South America took place at the end of the war.  Now,  knowing over the centuries there were waves of European immigration (italian, Greek,, German, English  etc) , not only to Chile,  but to Argentina and Uruguay as well, I will give myself a cultural “duh” and vow to learn much more about our neighboring continent. 

Today a vendor  asked me what part of America I was from.  I said Washington.  He said he was from the best part  of America : South America.

Some Other Photos 










No comments:

Post a Comment